Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Taste of Home


Researchers say that a person's sense of smell spurs memories and sentimental feelings better than any other sense. I would happen to disagree. Taste, at least in my uneducated opinion seems stronger. To this, many would say, "Well, (in a very haughty way) a person's sense of taste is intrinsically linked to thier sense of smell." To that I would reply "Well (in an equally haughty manner), a person can have a damaged sense of smell, yet still have a highly developed palate. Just ask my Uncle Nick!"
With that being said, I will get on with the meat and potatoes, so to speak, of this rant. To me, the Red Arrow Diner is a taste of home. Now Mum, don't take offense to this, as your chili could never be challenged, but nothing says Manch-Vegas like some beans and toast (they are said to be from coast to coast!). The Red Arrow Diner, located at 61 Lowell Street, in Manchester, NH is the best of diner and great French-Canadian cuisine. Menu items include gut filling dishes like their home-made pork pie, baked beans, and liver and onions ( I hear that one is great, I just can't bring myself to try it). They also serve breakfast all day. There is nothing better than a short stack of banana peanut butter pancakes and a big glass of chocolate milk on a cold winter day. To top it all off thier desserts are out of this world. True to their new Hampshire location they serve all sorts of pie such as, strawberry rhubarb, chocolate cream, and apple, among others. Kids can even go in the kitchen and make thier own stuffed twinky or whoopie pie. My favorite meal (if I have not eaten for the past three days, that is) is a dog, burnt to a crisp plopped in the center of a plate of baked beans. For a side I love the sweet potatoe fries with lots of powdered sugar on top. To drink, a Red Arrow Root Beer is in order. If I will not be eating for 3 days after this meal, I will finish with a slice of pie (any kind will do, I don't discriminate).
Now that I am drooling, and am getting very homesick, I emplore all readers of this post to visit the Red Arrow Diner if you are passing through Manchester. It is open 24 hours a day, so no need to hurry and get there before they close! Just be forwarned, unless you want to climb over all the patrons and the cooks (the bathroom is through the kitchen. It is a legit diner, so space is very limited), pee before you leave the house!

-Jak

1 comment: