Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The interesting life of Nate Miller...the boring life of Jak Miller

Although Nate has been writing on such glorious and entertaining topics which include, but are not limited to cameras, beer, and naked mole rats, and is supremely entertaining, the same cannot be said for his bride, who maintains a constant state of boredom here in VA. Quartermaster OBC is certainly not the place to be for a young adventurous gal. This is where one must create her own adventures. Adventures tend to vary by day. Some are minor adventures, likeweaving through morbidly obese Wal-Mart shoppers in a shopping cart with poorly aligned wheels. Some are more on the wild side, like climbing trees in a park outside of Richmond, and having a silly hound-ish dog believe he has treed you.
Yesterday's adventure was leaning more toward wild end of things, due to interactions between myself and many non-domestic creatures. While taking my usual jog on the Petersburg Battlefield around dusk, I spotted what appeared to be a large heard of cattle. If I were in NH, I would think nothing of this. In VA, it is a bit out of the ordinary. Although I am used to seeing odd things in Petersburg, such as crack whores, and fine dining locales such as Domino's and Mama's Tattoo and House of Pizza, I thought little of this. As I ran closer, I realized that this was not a pack of holsteins, but was a herd of over 70 deer. At the time, I found this slightly disconcerting, but looking back on it, it seems quite mundane. This is larely due to the fact that there is no hunting allowed in this national park, and that all naturual predators of deer in this area have been extinct for years thanks to habitat distruction. As I ran even closer to my beady eyed friends I attempted to get them to move out of the way by flailing my arms. If anyone had seen me, they would think I would need to go to Concord (any New Hampshirite will get this reference). To my great dismay, not only did the blasted critters not move, but I was in fact seen by another LT in my class. Great.
This scene gave me flashbacks to a time in CT when I was learning to drive standard and a deer would not only not move out of the way of my ever stalling vehicle, but seemingly laughed at my pathetic up-hill start attempts. The scene had repeated itself. They were laughing at me. And they never moved. I did some Wal-Mart-esque weaving and eventually got past the herd, but I swear that I could hear them sniggering as I jogged by. Damn the deer.

-Jak

No comments:

Post a Comment