Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Packing and Other Similarly Grueling Expierences

So I hate packing, and yet I am in the midst of getting all my crap together after 13 weeks and change in the same hotel room. My room is a mess, and I broke down and bought another duffel bag, because they are made of the same material as the black whole where socks go, able to hold infinite amounts. They are helping lots. The only difficulty is that I found something I had forgotten about. A frameset. This kind of thing only happens to me or Jak. I forgot that we didn't ship my track frameset to Germany, as we were planning on selling it, and had not gotten any bites yet. Oops. Other random things I am packing are our collection of 8 growlers, part of Ethan's climbing gear we found in the attic (thought you might want it Ethan), multiple pairs of bike shoes (I miss my bikes), and an entire duffel worth of bike clothing. The last amuses me because all of my normal clothes and shoes take up but a single duffel.
My hatred of packing makes me wish I could be doing anything else. Well I suppose I am in fact doing something else, writing this, but it made me think of one of our favorite cycling movies. If you care to find out more, keep reading.

24 Solo: One Man's Quest for a 7th World Title

Okay so comparing packing to racing one's bike for 24 hours non-stop may be a bit of a stretch. But it does show my hate of packing. Any my love of this movie. While this movie is without a doubt a cycling movie, I really do think that a broader audience can see and enjoy this movie. In the age of UFC and Ultra Marathons, we expect to see humans press themselves to and beyond any reasonable limit. And we celebrate and envy them when they do. This movie follows Chris Eatough in his quest to win a 7th 24 Hour World Championship, in case you didn't catch that from the title. What we end up with is the most epic duel on two wheels since "the Look" (2001 Tour de France). In terms of our expectation of human suffering, I wont ruin the movie, but I will say that any athlete that can drive themselves to the point where their muscle's break down and begin to poison themselves should definitely count.

-Nathan

1 comment:

  1. Cycling movies = great cycling quotes. This one produced the classic, "Eataugh...as is 'eat-off a plate.'" But still, nothing holds a candle to the innumberable Jens-isms from Overcoming, such as "I am going to get goinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng."

    ReplyDelete