Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Camera and New Hobby


I fell in love with Pa's indestructible camera when Jak and I were in Spain, and thanks to Ebay I finally broke down and got one of my own. I am now the proud owner of an Olympus 850 SW in bright orange. Because I am distinctly lacking in bikes right now (they are all in a container that I am hoping will not fall off of a ship in the Atlantic), Jak and I have been doing much more hiking and walking. To go onto a tangent, I think we really have rediscovered the joy of going slow. I have been racing my bike for so long that until I had no patience for hiking or walking, because it didn't get me anywhere fast. Thanks to my bride, I have really started to love it again. It lets me see lots that I normally wouldn't, plus it is warmer now that winter has started to arrive in Maryland. To that end I went for a long walk at Susquehanna State park near me yesterday to enjoy myself and have some fun with my new camera. While I was there, I remembered that the camera is waterproof so against what some would call better judgment on a 25 degree day, I started sticking the camera underwater to get cool pictures of the streams there. And it worked. And my hand froze. Cutting my walk short somewhat, as my right hand lost all feeling and motor control, but I think the pictures were worth it. Next time, I need some waterproof gloves. (Click on the blue underlined words to see the pictures, I can't figure out how to put more pictures in this)

-Nathan

1 comment: