Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fix Bayonets



So, what does this photo have to do with what I am about to write? Absolutely nothing! I just thought it was a reasonably good pic of myself and the QM General, Brigadier General Cross...nice guy, but totally beside the point! So I was running today...big surprise, right? It was my favorite type of day, raining and cold, which meant the trails were all mine. No one in their right mind would be out on a day like today. Although it was nasty out, the trees were budding and the crocuses were just peeping out of the ground, so I figured, being a hardy New Hampshirite, that a nice long run would be perfect.
Donning my spandex and layers of tops, I started out for the battlefield. The battlefield is a great place to engage in any outdoor activity, but there are some risks involved. One such risk is the deer. I love them dearly (no pun intended) but something spooked the herd my way, and I think I gave the poor animals quite a fright, as they all ran headlong onto my trail, only to be rudely interrupted in their flight by this scrawny biped. Well, they put on the brakes, and so did I, and we both turned tail and ran. I made it a couple hundred yards before my curiosity made me go back. I wanted to see what could have spooked a herd of the most calm deer in the world. So I jogged towards the clearing that I knew was close. I could here movement, which was odd, as I am the only person ever to go that way (at least I have never seen another soul by this ruined old foundation/ chimney that reside in the field). I slowed to a walk coming out of the woods, and could not believe the scene in front of me. I had a platoon of rebels coming my way! The damn Confederates were out in full force. So I did what any good soldier would do: I dove for the closest cover and concealment (a large well placed sycamore) and started making a plan. Could I take them all on my own? I was weaponless, but those single shot riffles didn't look too deadly...Hold on...the Civil War is over! Now this poor little LT was just confused. Crouching behind my tree, it dawned on me. These guys were Civil War reenactors! So, feeling very foolish, I made my way back to the trail and continued with my run. Further on, going back towards the car, I did run into a couple of them making camp. Once again, I had a hard time believing I was in 2009, and not 1864. They not chatted with me a bit and were true southern gentlemen. I could swear I was in Gone with the Wind. All I have to say to that is, "Oh, Ashley!" As I have said, there are some dangers you must look out for when running on the battlefield, yet I never expected one of them to be Confederates!

1 comment:

  1. After all, tomorrow is another day. Maybe you can run elsewhere. Be careful. We love you and Nathan.

    ReplyDelete