Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ode to the Old Man and Car Washing Adventures

So I miss him. I think I drove by the site four times this last weekend and got teary every time. People not from New Hampshire probably do not get our obsession with a chunk of granite that looks like a face. They may ask why we still keep it on our license plates and road signs. I don't really know why we love the Old Man of the Mountains, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that most New Hampshirites see ourselves in him. We are a tough group who are solid and predictable. We enjoy the changing of the seasons and possess the abilities to withstand whatever is thrown at us. So even though he is no longer with us, the spirit of New Hampshire that he embodied lives on....and whatever people say, Indian Head will not replace him, as I stared at Indian Head (off of exit 33 on 93 North) for ten minutes and still couldn't see an indian's head in the rock!
Now on to a completely different thought: car washing. So, like the good OCD person I am, I wash my car and vacuum it out far more often than most people, including my lovely husband who has been known to let things rot in his car. When I drove in to the carwash yesterday, I lovingly scrubbed my car, rinsed it, and even put on the shiny tire stuff I love so much. I then proceeded to vacuum it, wash the interior windows, and clean the leather. When putting the final touches on my sexy VW, I noticed that not only was I the only female in the packed car cleaning place (I expected that), but I was the only white person there. Why is it that people of other ethnicities take care of thier cars so well? Granted some of the cars they drive look silly with 23 inch wheels on a civic, but that is a whole other rant entirely! I mean, the guy next to me had a late '90's Toyota, but was waxing it as if it were a Mercedes. It looked as if it had just rolled out of the show room, even though it was ten years old. That was also true to be said for every car in the carwash lot. Why is it that white people just don't seem to care about thier cars. Case and point: Miller NEVER had washed his car before he got his Jetta and I started forcing him to. Alli had Red Hots embedded in her floor mats last week! It kills me to see it, because I would wash and vacuum that car every week in the summer. I even did that to our decrepit '87 Camry that she and I shared in high school (granted any love I put into it went out the window when the brake line burst and Alli ran into the back of a black Ford Focus after school senior year...). I don't know why I love my car and obsessivly take care of it, or why a higher percentage of blacks keep thier cars in pristine condition. I am not sure what this has to do with anything, but it is food for thought!

1 comment:

  1. OK, so now that I sound like a slob, I need to add some back story here. My car is vacuumed at least once a week in race season and once every two weeks otherwise. The Hot Tamales (not Red Hots, because those are the less attractive cousin of the Hot Tamale is the candy world) were from the day before when Andy and I (both almost so uncoordinated that we shouldn't be driving, nevermind eating and driving) experianced a fumble in the handoff of the Hot Tamales, which sent them in every direction. They probably sat there for a total of 20 hours before they were all located and disposed of/eaten if they were on an acceptable surface (ie anywhere that shoes/feet don't touch).

    ReplyDelete