Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Crazy Europeans


Just for now, here are some of my observations of Europe's quirks (at least from an American perspective).

-Sports: they like random ones, making Eurosport always fun. Some prime examples of things I have watched so far are the Welsh Open Championships of Indoor Boccie and Competitive Arm Wrestling

-Bike Paths: They are everywhere! This is amazing, or it will be once my bikes show up

-Pork: It may just be a German thing, but the love of pork is something I was surprised by. It is pretty tasty and wicked cheap though

-Built in Tax: Dear USA, please take a hint. It makes much more sense to put the tax on an item in the price, or maybe that is just me. I also like it because for major purchases I can get a VAT exemption form, removing that 19% tax from the item.

-Pants: Yes they wear pants, but damn, how do they get into them. At least when I have been in some of the city centers on my admittedly limited travel, I have been impressed. It must take forever to get dressed.

-American Music: Now I have never been all that up to date on my music tastes, but than again I have never thought it acceptable to have UB40's Greatest Hits playing in a store. They like the most randomly bad American Music.

-Beer: Their beer is heavenly, but strangely their purity laws (in Germany at least) prevent any playing around with ingredients. It is still awesome though

More will follow I am sure

No comments:

Post a Comment