Tuesday, March 3, 2009

We're all going to die! We have five inches of snow!


So tomorrow marks my graduation from Quartermaster Officer Basic Course! Although that is a truly exciting fact, that is not why I am blogging. This week we had a snow storm. It all started with a call from my friend Molina: "Hey Miller, look outside and see all these idiots jumping around in the snow." So, taking this wise New Yorker's advice, I opened the curtains and promptly started laughing. There must has been at least twenty people frolicking in about two inches of slushy junky white stuff. Now these were all adults, not a child in sight! It was like they had never seen snow before...well, I guess they may not have seen snow before! I am all for frolicking, but preferably in a secluded wood, where no one else is laughing at you from their hotel window. Anyway, with that being said, this Monday, the governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency....for FIVE inches of snow! Post was closed, and the power was down. So while others were freaking out, I was doing my snow day dance (my mum has seen it many a time, yet not since grade school). I had a free day with nothing to do! Well, I take that back, I had to go to the post office. The one on Ft. Lee was closed, so I ventured off into Hopewell. I expected people to stay home, but there were literally no cars on the road, so I took the opportunity to do a couple of E-brake slides around some corners. I made it to the post office only to be greeted (if one counts sneering as greeting) by the world's most ornery postal worker who complained constantly about the weather. Again, I laughed. With that done, I made it back on post and decided to go for a walk on the battlefield. I figured that the snow would keep the confederates at bay. I was right. Apart from a couple of my classmate who I meet at the trail head, I did not see a soul on the trails. My deer we bedded down somewhere else, so I had to content myself with taking numerous bird photos. Virginia's state bird, the cardinal was out in full force. I got some great photos of the males, but the females seemed a tad shy, and would fly off as soon as I spotted them. I also so quite a few carolina wrens. They are just fun birds, as they actually sit still! Although not as pretty, I did see quite a few turkey vultures as well. I did not know this, but these birds prefer their meat to be a few days old before consuming it, and due to their weak feet, they cannot hold on to live prey....interesting, huh? Although I saw plenty of individual birds, I only saw two more species during my walk. I am having a hell of a time identifying this little guy. The others were really obvious, but I just have no idea, about this one, so I will call him Fluffy, the gray bird! I also saw a cooper's hawk, a first for me, but was unable to get my camera up in time! Earlier in the week, while walking along the river, I was lucky enough to see a bald eagle, who winter in this area! Anyway, enough of my rambling! Enjoy the rest of the photos at www.flickr.com/mtwash125!

3 comments:

  1. A slight correction, that is not a turkey vulture, but a black headed vulture, as I realized it didn't have the characteristic red head....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some really nice pics, Jess. With so many cardinals around, I was beginning to wonder if I was about to see gray or white smoke, a la Pope Watch 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time that I saw that many Cardinals in one place, was when they were all hanging out in the dug-out when Benny XVI paid a visit to the house that Ruth built... and I'm not referring to the guys from St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete