Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I love my bowl mixer!

Look out Nana, here I come! Having finally gotten a nice kitchen back, in all spare time that I can find, I have been cooking and baking like a fiend! Although Miller has been eating everything I put in front of him, tonight, I decided to pull out the stops. As we are having guests over (Ethan and his girlfriend), I thought a special meal was appropriate. Our Canadian delight of brown potatoes and pork fit the bill! So I dragged out my heaviest cast-iron dutch oven and went to work. I did over ten burn cycles before I was pleased with the color of the broth...no ancient Chinese secret for me (well, they don't sell gravy master here anyway!). I also tried a new french bread recipe found in my trusty Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook. With the help of my Kitchenaid mixer (thanks Nana and Grampa!) it was just so little work! The dough certainly rose the best of any I have made, and created two light, large crusty loaves! Next of course was dessert, and a quick and easy banana bread came out perfectly....I certainly missed Miller when I was in Virginia, but darn, I missed cooking almost as much! I now sleep with my pistachio mixer by my bed, as I suffered from severe separation anxiety...never again could I leave it for so long!

3 comments:

  1. Jessi....Miller told us you were a wonderful cook. After seeing your delicious eye-appealing dinner, I really believe him. I'd love a slice of your home-made bread at this very moment. Our love to both of you...Nana & Grampa

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Gravy Master? ...and you got the potatoes THAT brown! My Grammy would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sleep with your bowl mixer, I sleep with my Crackberry. Addiction, sweet addiction.

    ReplyDelete