Monday, November 23, 2009

Victory is Mine!


So, sometimes in the Army you have to make some sacrifices in your daily life. One such sacrifice is the occasional food item at the commissary. This week it was celery, which being the week prior to Thanksgiving, was a crisis! Well, let's start this story right....they do not have any rhubarb, fluff, soup bones, nor gravy master. So why would we shop at a place that cannot stock even these simple items? Well, in one word: CHEAP. When faced with paying a Euro to Dollar exchange that would make even the richest folks faint at the thought, our American tax free food shopping is really the best option despite a limited selection. I would expect our commissary to not have regional items that are very New England specific, but some things you would expect them to always have. Celery is one of them. I mean, how would I make my stuffing or turkey salad? Well, in the end, we had to go back to get some, late on a weekday night. We were victorious, but it was a close call! There is an unwritten rule at the commissary or PX, which is, if you find something that you want, buy as many as you can, as who knows when they will stock it again. This leads to buying bulk in items that most people do not stock up on, like bread (our freezer is full) and ground pork (once again, limited freezer space). Next time celery is in stock, I may have to stock up on that, but I am still not sure how I would keep it fresh! I will miss the families for Thanksgiving, but you are all in our hearts and minds.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know whether that was Nate or Jak that accidentally rode into the cow barn, but that cracks me up! Now I want to try it! Only in my version, the farmer would let me pet the cows' heads and then invite me inside for dinner. Not likely, eh?
    Love your blog- SO TRUE about the commissary. Last Thanksgiving AND Christmas they were out of light brown sugar. Be warned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your celery always be in stalk!

    ReplyDelete